Imagine your partner was also your friend: A Practical Guide
Updated: Jan 24
Does it feel like you and your partner don’t connect anymore?
Most of us fall in love with people we like. this seems like an obvious statement, but it doesn't always ring true after courtship and years of marriage. Couples say to me all the time they wish they were better friends.
Here are some ways to reconnect with your partner:
● Turn off your devices! Allow space for conversation
● Schedule time to catch up
● Text each other questions during the day- to answer later (what is the best new song you've heard this week? What article did you read recently that interested you?)
● Read (or listen to) a book together and discuss it over diner
● Start a new hobby together (axe throwing is a cheap date/ activity)
● Mostly- be genuinely curious about your partner. Ask follow up questions about their lives-What is frustrating them, what are their goals for the month/year, how are they being challenged at work, what are they worried about concerning the future?
Rodney is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Certified Clinical Anxiety Treatment Professional with 10+ years experience working with couples of all shapes and sizes. Contact Rodney at 603-892-9777 or at www.603counseling.com to learn more and schedule your free 15min consultation.